The first building in the city of Santa Monica to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977, and subsequently designated a Santa Monica Historic Landmark in 1979. Thomas Hines’ seminal book on Gill’s work catalogues Horatio West Court as a work of “Completion” in that it was designed during the period in Gill’s career when he was most mature (1910-1920).
Gill’s groundbreaking early modernism focused on the bare honesty of the “simple cube house with creamy walls, sheer and plain, rising boldly into the sky,” stripped of ornamentation other than what was provided by nature. He imaginatively formulated a shade of white paint by adding to it red, yellow and blue drops which would then reflect the colors of exterior flowers, vines and trees. His medium was concrete as used here and at his other projects (including his masterpiece the Dodge House).
This extremely rare masterwork 1/2 block from the beach includes: Living and dining rooms, updated kitchen, upstairs master bedroom and sunroom, additional downstairs bedroom, 2 baths, adjoining living and dining room patio, parking for 2 cars, garage storage, original artisan tiles surrounding the fireplace, original built-in cabinets, and skylights. Ownership at the complex also includes a 1/4 shared interest in two rental units at the rear of the property as well as a separate single family residence. Significant Mills Act Tax Benefits will transfer to the new owner.